Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workshop(DBT):
Be the Agent of Change to Support Your Clients Manage and Regulate Intense Emotions and Accept Positive Change
April 21, 25, & 27, 2023 | 9:00AM – 12:00 PM (PST)
Trainer: Erica Immenschuh, LSCSW
This introductory DBT workshop is presented in three segments to provide an overview of the core DBT principles that improve clients’ safety and their emotional and behavioral control. Daily emphasis is placed on understanding and practicing a DBT specific clinical approach and the skills within the Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, and Distress Tolerance modules.
Join Erica Thomas Immenschuh a licensed clinical social worker in Kansas and Missouri and founder of ETI-LLC. In her role as a private practice therapist, Erica believes it is an honor to help people find a sense of healing, balance, and positive change. She incorporates theory and practice into her roles as a clinician, clinical supervisor, consultant, and presenter. She provides the trauma informed interventions of DBT, EMDR, Solution Focused Brief Therapy and Motivational Interviewing.
Who Should Attend: Anyone working with people seeking change who may struggle with depression, substance use, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, suicidality, and intense emotions.
Target Population: Clinicians, case managers, therapists, social workers, substance use counselors.
Questions for your clinical work:
1. Do you want to validate client experiences and help them achieve positive life changes?
2. Are you feeling stuck when clients experience intense emotions?
3. Are you interested in learning how to increase clients' ability to effectively stay safe, be in the present moment, tolerate stress, and regulate emotions and behaviors?
Join us! Our virtual workshop will provide your answers and guide you with next steps to make meaningful shift in your practice.
Day One: Introduction to DBT principles/theory, goals, stages of treatment, and skills assumptions.
Day Two: DBT treatment assumptions, tools, and provider/client management strategies.
Day Three: The four DBT skills modules overview and practice.
- Identify the five behavioral health conditions that DBT is validated for to properly apply the treatment method in the clinical setting.
- Compare two approaches for implementing DBT in the clinical setting to provide the best benefit to behavioral health clients.
- Describe the four fundamental principles of a dialectical approach to correctly apply these principles in clinical practice.
- Recognize at least five types of dysregulation amenable to treatment using DBT to inform clinical decision making.
- Describe five or more DBT treatment targets to support clients developing more adaptive strategies.
- Describe what is meant by dialectical thinking and articulate treatment targets for seven dialectical dilemmas to support effective treatment.
- Discuss how the seven assumptions of DBT can be applied in practice to promote a healing environment.
- Differentiate the two, core clinical strategies in DBT to support clients improving interpersonal effectiveness, emotional regulation, and problem solving.
- Explain the four steps in behavior chain analysis to assess problematic behavior patterns and support clients identifying new behavioral solutions.
- Articulate one way to introduce the diary card to support client self-monitoring of treatment targets.
- Demonstrate at least one clinical strategy in DBT to strengthen client commitment to treatment.
- Describe one approach for conducting DBT skills training groups and strategies for preventing problems oftentimes arise in group treatment settings.
- Demonstrate how to teach the three basic steps to mindfulness practice for improving clients’ distress tolerance and emotional regulation.
- Articulate the four steps to distress tolerance practice and five or more strategies to help clients activate more adaptive behaviors.
- Describe the three steps in the check the facts intervention to help clients change their emotional responses and improve emotional regulation.
- Describe two or more techniques in the interpersonal effectiveness skills module for helping clients create change in their lives.
This training will be held via zoom. Zoom link and training handouts will be distributed a week prior to the workshops first day.
CONTINUING EDUCATION: 8.25 credits
PSYCHOLOGISTS: Psychologists - APA: California Institute for Behavioral Health Solutions is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. California Institute for Behavioral Health Solutions maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
RN: CIBHS is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 17140 for TBD contact hours.
LMFT, LPCC, LEP and/or LCSW: CIBHS is an approved provider for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) to sponsor continuing education. CIBHS maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. Course meets the qualifications for TBD hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. (Provider Number 70799)
CCAPP: CIBHS is an approved provider for California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) continuing education units (Provider number 5-98-408-0824).
CADTP: CIBHS is an approved provider for California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP) continuing education credits. CIBHS maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. (Provider number 240)
All activities in this training are offered for continuing education credit excluding any breaks. CE Certificates of Completion will be emailed within two weeks of processing your completed online evaluation.
For questions, comments, or grievances about this CE course content or delivery, or to request special accommodations, please email Theresa Ferrini at email@example.com
There is no known commercial support for this webinar.
For all questions regarding the training and registration, please reach out to Gayaneh Karapetian at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations for continuing education must be received in writing within 48 hours after the first day of the training to receive a refund. Refunds: All refunds will be subject to a $10.00 administration fee, which will be deducted from all refund checks. In the event the provider cancels the conference, full refunds will be given.