Motivational Interviewing (MI):
Enhance Your Ability to Create Movement in Your Work
July 20, July 29, August 10, 2022 | 9:00AM – 12:00 PM (PDT)
In this introductory workshop, the four essential components of motivational interviewing: "spirit" of MI, MI micro skills, MI process, and change talk will be explored. The trainer will discuss how each of these components work together to help engage individuals in problem exploration and/or behavior change. The first day will provide a definition of the spirit of MI and allow participants to experience the impact of a clinical response in the spirit of MI vs. a response that is more directive and persuasive. The second day will focus on understanding the importance of understanding how the MI process can guide change, and participants will start learning and practicing the essential MI micro skills. The final day will continue to focus on skill development as well as understanding how to use "change talk" to guide a path toward desired outcomes.
Join Kristin Dempsey, EdD, LMFT, LPCC full-time faculty member at the Wright Institute and practicing psychotherapist in the Bay Area specializing in complex trauma, MI, addiction counseling, suicide prevention, and much more. In addition to clinical work, Dr. Dempsey trained community mental health providers in various evidenced-based and promising practices and provides ongoing coaching and consultation in behavioral health system redesign and implementation of evidence-based practices.
Who should attend: Anyone who works with people seeking change including clinicians, addiction counselors, case managers, supervisors, peers, and managers.
Why should you attend:
"MI is a collaborative, goal-oriented style of communication with particular attention to the language of change. It is designed to strengthen personal motivation for, and commitment to, a specific goal by eliciting and exploring the person's own reasons for change within an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion." (Miller & Rollnick, 2013, p. 29)
MI is a helpful strategy to help those struggling with:
- Ambivalence about change
- Low confidence and doubt about self
- Low desire to change
- Uncertainty about whether change is advantageous
Questions for your clinical work:
- Do you want to support clients who are stuck, build self-confidence and trust in themselves?
- Do you hope to shift ambivalence into determination to change?
- Are you looking for specific and useful interventions to support change in your clients?
- Do you feel stuck in observing change in people you are attempting to help?
Our virtual training will provide you answers and guide you with next steps for changing your practice. Topics will include an overview of the core elements and fundamental processes of MI to enhance engagement and bring focus into what your clients are seeking in treatment, thereby increasing your ability to be effective in your daily practice.
This training will be held via Zoom. A meeting link will be emailed to you one week before the training.
- Participants will be able to describe the four components of the "Spirit" of Motivational Interviewing and the benefits of this approach for facilitating change among behavioral health clients.
- Participants will be able to explain the four processes of Motivational Interviewing for eliciting behavioral health clients' own motivation for, and commitment to, change.
- Participants will be able to apply the five micro skills of Motivational Interviewing in a culturally sensitive and trauma-informed manner to foster change among behavioral health clients in treatment.
- Participants will be able to distinguish three or more characteristics of "preparatory" versus "commitment" change talk for assessing behavioral health clients' readiness for change.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate at least two reflections, open-ended questions, or summaries for motivating change talk among behavioral health clients.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate at least two affirmations for strengthening the therapeutic relationship with behavioral health clients.
CONTINUING EDUCATION 8.25 credits
PSYCHOLOGISTS: Psychologists - APA: California Institute for Behavioral Health Solutions is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. California Institute for Behavioral Health Solutions maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
RN: CIBHS is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 17140 for 8.25 contact hours.
LMFT, LPCC, LEP and/or LCSW: CIBHS is an approved provider for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) to sponsor continuing education. CIBHS maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. Course meets the qualifications for 8.25 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. (Provider Number 70799)
CCAPP: CIBHS is an approved provider for California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) continuing education units (Provider number 5-98-408-0822).
CADTP: CIBHS is an approved provider for California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP) continuing education credits. CIBHS maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. (Provider number 240)
All activities in this training are offered for continuing education credit excluding any breaks. CE Ce rt ificates of Completion will be emailed within two weeks of processing your completed online evaluation.
For questions, comments, or grievances about this CE course content or delivery, or to request special accommodations, please email Theresa Ferrini at email@example.com
There is no known commercial support for this webinar.
For all questions regarding the training and registration, please reach out to Gayaneh Karapetian at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations for continuing education must be received in writing within 48 hours after the first day of the training to receive a refund. Refunds: All refunds will be subject to a $10.00 administration fee, which will be deducted from all refund checks. In the event the provider cancels the conference, full refunds will be given.